Thursday, 30 August 2007

SIOE Brussels march in International Herald Tribune

Again the report is inaccurate - the National Council has yet to make a decision

BUT! This now truly international and if you are reading this you simply have to be in Brussels on 11th September!! You owe it to yourself and your children! Book your tickets right now!

Brussels court upholds ban on anti-Islam protest planned for Sept. 11

The Associated Press Published: August 30, 2007

BRUSSELS, Belgium: An appeals court has upheld the ban of an anti-Islam protest planned for Sept. 11 in Belgium's capital, six years after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

The organizers — an alliance of Europeans opposed to the "Islamization" of Europe — failed to prove the ban causes them "irreparable damage," the Council of State, an administrative appeals court, ruled late Wednesday.

Brussels Mayor Freddy Thielemans banned the demonstration Aug. 9 fearing it would disturb public order and calling the Stop Islamization of Europe alliance an inflammatory group.

In a secular democracy "it cannot be that women and men are ... suspected of having committed the worst crimes" simply because they are Muslims, said Thielemans.

Since 2001, Thielemans has approved more than 3,500 demonstrations in the Belgian capital and banned six, including the one of SIOE which calls itself "an alliance of people across Europe with the single aim of preventing Islam becoming a dominant political force in Europe."

The group's origins lie in anti-Muslim organizations in Denmark, Britain and Germany. It called for the Brussels protest to commemorate the victims of 9/11.

A posting on the SIOE web site Thursday suggested the Sept. 11 protest will go ahead as planned.

"Well! Mayor Thielemans believes he has the final say!" it read. "Thousands of people believe otherwise."

4 comments:

Cassandra said...

Hi, this is getting really confusing. If I understand correctly IHT reported wrong, as the decision was deferred at the time, but since then there has been a ruling, upholding the ban, It that right?
Now anxiously awaiting FT decision in the AEL demo request.
Cheers,
Cass.

Stephen Gash said...

Well I've not heard that the ban is upheld. As far as I know it is still deferred.

Cassandra said...

It looks like we have a real case of disinformation on our hands. There were four reports on this 'verdict' of the CoS that wasn't: one originates at BJ/PB which makes no mention of the disgusting quote uttered by FT. The report on GoV is based on this post.
The other is the story on IHT/Ass. Press - with FT's quote - basis of Robert Spencer's and my own post.
Question: who brought this misinfo into the world, specifically A.P.'s report which quotes FT as saying: ""it cannot be that women and men are ... suspected of having committed the worst crimes" simply because they are Muslims"?
Nice game of psyops!

Stephen Gash said...

There's no accounting for journalists.

PB is now intimating that there is "apparent miscommunication between SIOE organisers"

There is no lack of communication, just different people saying things on their own sites without even talking to us.

This is what happens when you organise things though. It goes with the territory. You come with an initiative and people come and tell you how to change it.

PB has not even spoken to SIOE since the demo was announced.